Council Powers

Hayle Town Council – Powers

What Can Local Councils Do?


Subject Detail
Allotments Power to provide allotment gardens and duty to do so if demanded by local electors
Appointment of Officers Power to appoint officers to discharge any function of the parish council as directed by it, nearly always a parish clerk and sometimes a neighbourhood manager, linesmen, village sweeper and other workers
Bathing Places and Wash Houses Power to provide swimming baths, public bathing places and wash houses (including laundrettes)
Burial Grounds, Cemeteries and Crematoria Power to provide such grounds or facilities
Bus Stops and Shelters Power to provide bus stops and shelters
Bye Laws Power to enact bye laws regarding pleasure grounds, cycle parks, baths and wash houses, open spaces and mortuaries.
Charities Power to act as trustee of any parochial charities serving the parish and duty to receive the accounts of such charities
Clocks Power to provide public clocks
Closed churchyards Power to maintain closed churchyards
Commons Power to regulate and maintain commons
Community Facilities Power to provide such facilities for the use of local individuals, community groups and societies
Conference Facilities Power to provide such facilities
Crime Prevention Power to take steps to prevent crime, such as installing CCTV, requiring and paying for additional policing of the parish, installing burglar alarms and strong locks, and assisting neighbourhood watch schemes
Delivery of Local Authority Services Right to act as an agent for the local district or borough, county or unitary authority and deliver nearly any services or amenities that would otherwise be provided for the parish by that local authority
Drainage Power to deal with ponds and ditches
Education Power to appoint representation to the governing body of any primary school serving the parish
Entertainment and the Arts Power to provide entertainments and support the arts
Free Resource Power to spend a limited amount of money as set by the Secretary of State on anything the parish council deems to be of benefit for the parish or its inhabitants
Gifts Power to accept gifts on behalf of the parish
Highways Power to maintain public footpaths, light roads and public places, provide litter bins, provide parking for vehicles, to acquire rights of way, provide traffic signs and other notices, and to give or withhold consent as to the stopping up or diversion of any public highway
Investments Power to participate in schemes of collective investment
Land Power to compulsory purchase land in certain circumstances and to establish new rights of way
Litter Power to provide litter bins and similar facilities
Lotteries Power to provide a lottery within the parish
National Parks Right to have representation appointed onto the authority of any National Park the parish falls under
Open Spaces Power to acquire land
Parish Property and Documents Duty to manage and hold any property and public documents on behalf of the parish
Planning Applications Right to be notified and consulted regarding any planning applications affecting the parish
Public Building and Village Halls Power to provide such buildings for public use
Public Conveniences Power to provide such facilities
Recreation Power to acquire land for recreation purposes and to provide sports and leisure facilities
School Governors Power to appoint a Primary School Governor
Telecommunication Facilities Power to require and pay a telephone company to provide additional public telephones
Tourism Power to take steps to encourage local tourism
Transport Power to provide car sharing schemes, community mini buses and other transport for the benefit of the parish
Village Greens Power to provide and duty to protect
War Memorials Power to maintain war memorials
Water Supply Power to utilise any clean source to provide facilities for obtaining water, such as a parish pump

From a document produced by The National Association of Local Councils ( (representing Parish, Town and Community Councils) 109 Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3LD.

Unitary and Parish Councils

Who Does What?


From the Parish Council Toolkit
Association of Council Secretaries and Solicitors

Town Council Sites/Services

Hayle Town Council manages Hayle Community Centre, Hayle Outdoor Swimming Pool, Lethlean Lane Allotments, Public Conveniences, Hayle Recreation Ground, King George V Memorial Walk, Jubilee Path, The Millpond (not the play area), The Plantation and other small pockets of green land. Find out more

Report to Cornwall Council

Report a problem/ask a question concerning the following: Housing, benefits, council tax, street lights, highways/footpath issues, general planning issues, waste collection, fly-tipping, street trading, licensing, environmental health, parking, fire safety. Find out more

Council Corner News

Published in the bi-monthly Hayle Pump Newsletter
Find out more