Information for the Public on Council Activities and other Services

during the Covid-19 Crisis

3 April 2020

As a result of the Covid-19 outbreak and subsequent government advice and legislation, the ability for the Council to operate as normal has been reduced. The Government has advised that everyone should remain in their homes unless absolutely necessary.

As per the powers delegated to the Clerk, and certain Councillors, the Council will now continue to operate key services only. The activities of the Council will be under constant review and will be updated at future points.

Council Meetings

All Council meetings are postponed. The Annual Electors Meeting is now cancelled altogether and there is now no legal requirement to hold and Annual Council meeting in 2020.

During the time of the closure, it will be essential for a number of decisions to be made. Certain decisions have been delegated to the Town Clerk, some to the Clerk in conjunction with the Mayor, others to a group of Senior Councillors (Chairs of Committees and those with special roles) and others by all members of the Council. Details of the delegations and a register of all delegated decisions made during this time will be made public and posted to the Town Council’s website (

Council Office and Communications

The Council offices are closed to the public. The Council’s administrative team will continue to work but from the comfort of their homes. Telephone calls to the office number have been diverted and will be answered during normal working hours. Emails will be monitored and responded to in the usual fashion. Hand delivered correspondence and letters will be collected periodically, so there may be a delay in these being acknowledged and dealt with.

Councillors are contactable as per their contact details on the website ( and will do their best to assist you in any way they can.


Invoices for normal /routine expenditure will be paid on a monthly basis (as a minimum) and will not be disrupted by this closure. The contact for this is Any paperwork posted or hand delivered to the office will be processed monthly.


The Council will legally be allowed to meet virtually and make legally binding decisions electronically as of 4 April 2020 – though further guidance is being awaited. The Council will not meet electronically but will confer and issue non-binding comments to all planning applications put before it. All planning applications that are due to be considered by the town council can be found on the Town Council website ( ), these applications are also linked to the Cornwall Council Planning Portal ( ). These comments will be made available for public view on both the Town Council website ( ) and on the Cornwall Council Planning Portal, as per the link above. The public can make comments on any applications they wish on the planning portal, which Town Councillors will read, or they may make them direct to the Town Councillors or via the Council office.


Hayle Library shall be closed to the public. Online services will continue to be offered to the community, including the ability to renew items. Library users can now renew items an unlimited number of times online, or on the 24 hr renewal hotline 0845 607 6119. We politely ask that that books and other items are not returned at this time as the staff are not working to deal with them. The slot on the door has been sealed and it has been agreed that any fines accrued at this time will be waived.

Hayle Community Centre

The Community Centre is closed to the public. Tenants that provide key services will continue to work from the building. All casual hire bookings and events have been cancelled or postponed.

Public Toilets

All public toilets – Foundry Square, Commercial Road, Hayle Recreation Ground and Riviere Towans – are closed due to cleaning staff/contractors being in an ‘at risk’ category and by order of the government.

Hayle Recreation Ground

The play area and the multi-surface courts at Hayle Recreation Ground are now closed to the public. The toilets are also closed until further notice too. We are asking that you do not use or meet at the skate-bowl either to protect yourselves and each other.   The playing field remains open and people are welcome to use this for exercise only as long as the 2-meter rule is respected. The public right of way through the Recreation Ground remains open.


Hayle Town Council is following the latest guidance,

Maintenance and repairs

Staff will be on call to respond to emergencies. The public is urged to report anything that they consider to be a health and safety concern to the Council office – 01736 755005 or Some inspections and other essential maintenance work may occur but only if and when social distancing and appropriate measures can be assured.

Local support for those self-isolating, ill or vulnerable

Volunteer Cornwall is accepting referrals & requests for help for those in the community. If you know of anyone (including yourself) who is self-isolating and in need of support with shopping, collecting prescriptions etc please get in touch. Please allow them as much time as possible to deal with your request and only use them if you have no one close by such as family, friends or neighbours to can support you, so those with the greatest need get the help the require.

Contact details : or call 01872 265300


A Community Kitchen has been established by disAbility Cornwall in conjunction with the Cornish Oven and Hayle Rugby Club, for people who are older, potentially vulnerable in any way or are self-isolating. They are delivering hot meals, Soup, pasties and stews £2 a meal, to Hayle, St Erth, Connor Downs and surrounding areas on Wednesdays and Saturdays

Call or email to order: 01736 759500 or


disAbility Cornwall is also offering its DIAL advice line which is open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday to anyone. Should you require any information, advice or be feeling a little isolated and in need of a chat, or perhaps in need of practical support such as shopping or collecting medication, we will endeavour to help. Our friendly and professional advisers are here to help and they will source the support you need.

Contact: 01736 759500 or


A Covid-19 community support site has been developed by Age UK Cornwall and Made Open Communications.  It forms part of the Inclusion Matters Partnership led by Cornwall Rural Community Charity (CRCC) also including Disability Cornwall, Inclusion Cornwall and the Digital Inclusion Team at Cornwall Council.

If a person does not have access to the internet, the information from the site is also available via the Inclusion Matters Helpline on 01872 266383 during business hours. The idea behind the platform is to reduce social isolation through connections, encouraging people to join in community-led activities on-line. It builds on alternative communications methods to deliver on care and human connection. It is for healthcare professionals as well as individuals, families, carers, volunteers and offers links to services and social activities in their area.

FutureLearn offer courses that will help you manage your mental health and support others who are struggling during lockdown to help people develop tools and strategies to improve their mindset and mental wellbeing with a ‘Support Your Mental Health In Lockdown’ collection. Click on the link for further information:

Cornwall Council related coronavirus enquiries or issues should be directed to the dedicated email address:


Other useful links:



Public Health England:

World Health Organisation:

Cornwall Council:

West Cornwall Women’s Aid Helpline : Tel:01736 367539

Just a word of caution; please be careful about letting strangers into your home, and certainly don’t give them cash or bank cards to purchase things on your behalf.

Town Council Sites/Services

Hayle Town Council manages Hayle Community Centre, Hayle Outdoor Swimming Pool, Lethlean Lane Allotments, Public Conveniences, Hayle Recreation Ground, King George V Memorial Walk, Jubilee Path, The Millpond (not the play area), The Plantation and other small pockets of green land. Find out more

Report to Cornwall Council

Report a problem/ask a question concerning the following: Housing, benefits, council tax, street lights, highways/footpath issues, general planning issues, waste collection, fly-tipping, street trading, licensing, environmental health, parking, fire safety. Find out more

Council Corner News

Published in the bi-monthly Hayle Pump Newsletter
Find out more