Become a Councillor


If you fulfil the eligibility criteria below and are interested in becoming involved in local
decision making and helping to shape the future of Hayle please consider applying.
Applicants are asked to complete and submit an application form, detailing why you wish
to be considered as a councillor and any qualities or experience that you have that you
think would benefit the Town Council. The co-option policy (explaining the process) and
application form are available here, together with lots of useful information about what is
involved in being a councillor.
All applications will be considered by the Council at its meeting on Thursday 8 June 2023.
All applicants will be invited to this meeting to speak briefly and to answer any questions
from the Council.

The closing date for applications is noon on Wednesday 7 June 2023.

Application forms must be submitted to the Town Clerk at
Hayle Town Council, Hayle Community Centre, 58 Queensway, Hayle, TR27 4NX or via
email to
If you have any questions about the process, contact the council office on 01736 755005.

Eligibility criteria to be a Councillor

To be eligible to stand as a councillor you must be qualified by virtue of being a British or
Commonwealth Citizen, citizen of the Republic of Ireland or European Union citizen, who has
attained the age ofl8 years and is:
(a) registered as a local government elector for the parish; and/or who has
(b) during the whole of the twelve months preceding the appointment occupied as owner or tenant
land or other premises in the parish; and/or his/her
(c) principal or only place of work during those twelve months has been in the parish; and/or has
(d) during those twelve months resided in the parish or within 4.8 kilometres of it; and is not
disqualified from holding office by reason of any disqualification set out in Section 80 of the Local
Government Act 1972


Other recent articles:

Town Council Sites/Services

Hayle Town Council manages Hayle Community Centre, Hayle Outdoor Swimming Pool, Lethlean Lane Allotments, Public Conveniences, Hayle Recreation Ground, King George V Memorial Walk, Jubilee Path, The Millpond (not the play area), The Plantation and other small pockets of green land. Find out more

Report to Cornwall Council

Report a problem/ask a question concerning the following: Housing, benefits, council tax, street lights, highways/footpath issues, general planning issues, waste collection, fly-tipping, street trading, licensing, environmental health, parking, fire safety. Find out more