Electoral Boundary Changes

Changes to the electoral boundaries for Cornwall Councillors will be in place from 2021.

The Local Government Boundary Commission has been undertaking a review of the divisional boundaries for Cornwall Council and has decided that there should be 87 Cornwall Councillors from 2021.  Nothing will change until then, but discussions by Cornwall Council and town and parish councils about how they would like to see the boundaries change have taken place over the last six months.  Cornwall Council has decided to recommend that there should be two councillors to represent Hayle and Gwinear-Gwithian.

Hayle Town Council has put forward a suggestion that there should be two divisions, one based on the existing Hayle South linked with Gwinear and the other the existing Hayle North linked with Gwithian.  This matches the two wards (now called divisions) of Hayle Town Council with the two wards of Gwinear-Gwithian Parish Council.  Hayle Town Council has suggested that the demarcation should follow the railway line and the A30 to define the divisions clearly.  Unfortunately, this was not accepted by Cornwall Council, who instead proposed that the division should be through Ventonleague, splitting Hayle in a most illogical and unsatisfactory way but not affecting any part of Gwinear-Gwithian.

The Boundary Commission will now look at both proposals and come back for consultation on its preferred option which could be entirely different; it is expected that this will be in June 2018.  The town council will have a few weeks to respond and may well seek public support for what it believes is the better option for everyone.


Other recent articles:

Town Council Sites/Services

Hayle Town Council manages Hayle Community Centre, Hayle Outdoor Swimming Pool, Lethlean Lane Allotments, Public Conveniences, Hayle Recreation Ground, King George V Memorial Walk, Jubilee Path, The Millpond (not the play area), The Plantation and other small pockets of green land. Find out more

Report to Cornwall Council

Report a problem/ask a question concerning the following: Housing, benefits, council tax, street lights, highways/footpath issues, general planning issues, waste collection, fly-tipping, street trading, licensing, environmental health, parking, fire safety. Find out more